CLIMBING THE MOUNTAIN
Once upon a time, a man decided to travel a great distance to look for a master. The local people said he was considered one of the best masters of their country. When he finally left home and walked for long distances, he arrived the place they said the master lived.
It was a region with many forests, where there was a huge and beauty mountain in the centre. Since he arrived, he saw a very simple stone house. On a chair, an old man. Then, he resolved to talk to the old man, telling the cause of his visit:
– Great master… I traveled a week to talk to you. I need an advice… I have an objective in my life. I wish to be a rich merchant, the best of the region. I know that, if I reach this thing, the reason of my existence, I will be completed. I want some words about the way I need to go.
The master looked him and said:
– I am observing you and I feel that you’ll have success in your objective.
The man was very happy when the old said that. There were a lot of stories and the old never wrong. The man was about to go out, when the master said:
– However, before you go, I want you to do a thing…
– What you ask I will do master!
– Then do this thing… I ask you to climb this mountain the most higher you can. When you arrive there, you will have an excellent vision of the perspective, and wait… because a great axiom will be reveled to you.
The man didn’t stop. He climbed the mountain rapidly, walking throw a dense wood, poison animals and many things on the way. When he arrived the higher point, he was very tired. Looked everything around him: forests, trees, rivers, clouds… the sun setting down. He waited for a while, but nothing came to his mind. Waited one hour more, thinking and meditating, but nothing seemed to come. Then, he thought “I am here, on the higher point of this mountain, where the master told me I will notice some truth, but nothing happened! Maybe this man isn’t the master they say. I could have wrong the place. I will come down and teach him a lesson, if he isn’t the master”
He started to come down the whole mountain. When he found the master, he said:
– I did what you want and nothing happened. What did you want to teach me?
The master answered:
– You arrived here asking me an advice about the great goal in your life. Then, you said you would be complete when you reach your objective. So, what did you do when you reach the top of the mountain?
– I stayed there some time, looking at the beautiful landscape. Then I decided to come down.
– This is the axiom, a great truth of our existence. When you arrive the higher point of a mountain, the only way possible is to come down. The same happen with those who wish the top, to be the best and feel realized with a superiority position, social or whatever. You won’t be satisfied. That’s why, you should never have a maxim goal in you existence, because there is always something to ascend. Learn this important lesson in your life.
(Hugo Lapa from Brazil)