THE MASTER AND THE CROOK
One moment, a master felt he was about to die. He ordered a reunion of every disciple he had. When they were present, he said:
– I asked for everyone to come here because I am afraid that my days is about to finish. I need to choose one between you that will be my successor. Then, I resolved to propose a task to you. I hide my crook in some place in the forest. The crook, as you know, symbolizes the knowledge and the blessing that will be passed to one person. The first that bring me the crook will be pleasured with my succession and inheritance. The intelligence of life will show the choice. You can go now.
The monks gone out very sad to know that the master would die, but at the same time they were fixed to continue his work.
Everybody entered the forest. They looked for the crook everywhere and found nothing. Many gave up and returned, believing there was no crook in the forest. Everybody returned to the master, when he noticed that someone wasn’t there.
Two days after, the last monk returned, dirty and tired. He smelt sweat, but he found nothing. The monks laugh at him because of his condition.
The master called everybody and said:
– I asked everybody to enter the forest and to look for the crook. What happened?
One of them answered:
– Sir, it seemed there was no crook in the forest.
The master said:
– Yeah, there was a crook, and one of you brought it to me.
They were confused, because nobody found it. Then, the master said:
– There was no material crook. You can’t forget that the crook is a symbol of knowledge, not it on its own. To reach the truly knowledge it is necessary one virtue: the personal effort. Without the truly effort, that everything does into we forget ourselves, through the material, you can’t reach the knowledge. Everybody returned clean and smelling good, without sweat. Only one gave his hands and everything he had. He returned two days after and you still laugh at him. The objective isn’t the victory necessarily, but the effort to reach it, how we broke our limits. So, that who broke its limits to find the knowledge will be my successor.
(Hugo Lapa from Brazil)